Friday, March 29, 2013

Time to execute on your plan

I don't use an alarm clock. I tend to go to bed when I'm tired and get up when I'm ready to take on the day. If I feel I need a little more rest, I try to go to sleep a little earlier. So, every day, without fail, I get up between 5a and 6a. Much closer to 5a on the week days and a little closer to 6a on the weekends. This does NOT mean I pop out of bed and spring out the door, hungrily looking to take on the day. It just means I'm a creature of habit, and my habit is to get up and go to the gym. Today, I woke up and more out of habit, than desire, my feet went to the floor before my brain could "encourage" another 15 minutes of "closed eye meditation." My Fridays have turned into these ritualistic attempts to see lower and lower numbers on the scale, while being aware they are not accurate representations of my true weight. In fact, I'd preach to anyone that would listen, stop looking at the scale and go by how you feel and how your clothes feel on you. But, even I can get lured into scale watching. Three weeks ago on a Sunday, my buddy was impressed with my athleticism and THEN added "for your size, it's incredible." I weighed in at 258 lbs and knew that was too much, but have always put much more focus on my work in the gym, than in the kitchen. So, he challenged me to see 250 lbs on the scale by Friday, just a scant 4.5 days later. He thought I'd see much more of the athletic performance in the gym that I was digging, if I helped my body out and lost some fat. Challenge accepted. Like I said, I'm a creature of habit. My changing my mindset and setting a goal, my new focus was pushing even harder in the gym and focusing on mobility, while keeping that focus on my food intake when I was out of the gym. No more bread. No more sugar. Minimal carbs. Minimal fruit. Essentially, lean proteins, veggies, and a one to two servings of fruit, and one carb a day. That Friday, I weighed in at 248 lbs. Largely, that was the effort I had put in, a good portion was water weight, as I pushed a harder cardio-centric workout and minimized my water intake. But, my goal was to see 250 on the scale. An act I would not have been able to see that previous Sunday. So, every Friday has become a terrorizing cario-centric workout with the goal to get my weight down a little more each week. Today, I saw 241. 17 lbs in 19 days. Not too bad. I know that every week will be a little less, as I have a great deal of muscle and less fat to lose. But, my overall goal is typically 5 lbs at a time to see how I feel, look, and perform. When I find the right combination to me, and I'm happy, I know I'll be all the better for it. Regarding the diet...it's hard to really call it that. I'm not on a diet. I eat healthier. During the week, I'm extremely focused and vigilant on my food intake, just as I am on my exercise output. On the weekends, especially, as the warmer weather encourages more social gatherings, I relax a bit. I know I'll put the work in and make the healthy choices where I can. But, I'm not afraid of a little beer and wine. So, find your focus. Find your goals. Let me know if I can help you. Because, in turn, I know that helps me. Be Strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment